Just a few days to go until the start of the UCI Road Cycling World Championships in Salzburg. Far from being only about sports, these championships offer visitors an exciting supporting programme.
The Cycling World Championships start two days earlier! The Cycling World Championships officially start in Salzburg on Tuesday, 19th September, with the opening ceremony in front of the Mirabell Palace. But two days before that, on Sunday, 17th September, the big kick-off event "Jedermann-Charity-Radfahrt" ("Everyman Charity Cycling Trip") will be staged for the benefit of the "Licht ins Dunkel" charity. For the first time in the history of the cycling world championships, the restricted World Championships track is opened for sports enthusiasts of all ages. Sports enthusiasts can expect a day of cycling with a perfect supporting programme on the track of the cycling pros. From 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm, the participants of the charity event can race their laps on the shortened and restricted World Championships track. Cyclists start off in front of the Mirabell Palace, refreshments are handed out at three supply stations. The cycling event in Salzburg is rounded off with an evening programme in the Europapark Salzburg that lasts until 10 o'clock pm. Many celebrities will be there to step into the pedals for the "Licht ins Dunkel" cause, among them "Jedermann" Peter Simonischek, who acts as patron for the event, the folk band Kastelruther Spatzen, "Dancing Star" Andreas Goldberger, Landeshauptfrau Gabi Burgstaller, State Secretary Karl Schweitzer, skiing legend Fritz Strobl, national ice-hockey team captain Dieter Kalt and football star Felix Aufhauser, to name but a few.
During the clock races and road racing tournaments from 19th to 24th September, visitors at the start/finish area in front of the Mirabell Palace and in the two visitors' centres Hallwang-Tiefenbach and Hallwang-Zilling with a capacity of 20,000 people each, will be offered a colourful supporting programme: from catering and exhibitions, vidiwalls, dance and show interludes to music performances - organised by Powermoderator.com. But spectators in Salzburg can look forward to a comprehensive supporting programme also apart from the sport competitions:
• Jedermann-Charity-Radfahrt ("Everyman Charity Cycling Trip") 17/09/2006, 1.00 pm – 4.00 pm, in aid of "Licht ins Dunkel", cycling on the official World Championship track; evening event from 4.00 pm to 10.00 pm in the Europapark Salzburg, free entry!
• Official opening ceremony of the 2006 UCI Road Cycling World Championships 2006 19/09/2006 - from 7.30 pm at the Mirabellplatz square in Salzburg town centre; free entry.
• St. Rupert's Parish Day 15 - 24/09/2006 - traditional parish fair in Salzburg Old Town (in the following squares: Residenzplatz, Mozartplatz, Kapitelplatz, Alter Markt)
• sports4you conference Sports conference on 20 and 21/09/2005 starts 8.00 am on each day. VIP area in the Salzburgarena located in the Salzburg Exhibition Centre http://www.sports-4-you.at/
• Salzburg's zoo animals as world champions Find out about the world champions of the animal kingdom. Visitors can gain information on the animals' masterful performances at numerous locations in the zoo and are invited to compare their own performance with that of the animals. 19 to 24/09/2006 - http://www.zoo-salzburg.at/
• Hallwang forest fair Traditional fair in Hallwang (right next to the world cup track) 22 - 24/09/2006 - http://www.waldfest.at/
• The big Krone World Cup Party Saturday, 23rd September from 8.00 pm with warm-up DJ, from 9.00 pm World Cup Party on the Waldfestbühne ("forest fair stage") in the Hallwang visitor centre. Powered by Powermoderator.com
• Spokes Spectacle 22 - 23/09/2006 - Family event in the Seekirchen town centre covering the whole world of cycling
• Viva Mozart 27/01/2006 - 07/01/2007 - Exhibition on the occasion of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's 250th birthday in the Neue Residenz in Salzburg's Old Town
• Tour de force 19 – 24/09/2006 - Party stretch on the right side of the Old Town ("Linzergasse" area)
the wall – Glockengasse: Hiphop, breakdancebattle, skating and inline contest, exhibition, chill out area, graffiti art contest on a 200m² vertical space, fashion show, DJs and VJs
permanent breakfast - Wolf Dietrich Straße: food and drink, breakfast with friends, culinary highlights and music to fall in love with.
soundtracks – Bruderhof: Only the best music, Jazz, World of Music, Electronic Tunes with international and national artists
citylife – Bergstraße: art, design & more The Bergstraße street becomes a colourful, imaginative meeting point for the in-crowd. The city’s designers, artists and creative heads show their work and animate people to stroll, look, talk and linger. The Bergstraße street as an orchestrated event. meet Friends: The shops, residents and exhibitors of the Bergstraße street extend a three-day invitation for the big celebration. Sitting at long tables, chatting, relaxing, meeting friends, listening to music ...
Jedermann Charity Cycling Tour • feel like a world champion • celebrities from the worlds of culture, business, politics, sports... • everybody is invited to sample the world championship atmosphere • cycling for a good cause • come on and join us, be a part of the • Jedermann Charity Cycling Tour – in aid of the "Licht ins Dunkel" charity on Sunday, 17/09/2006 from 1.00 pm until 4.00 pm on the world cup track in Salzburg • After-Race Party in the Europapark Salzburg starting 4.00 pm
OK RAD WM 2005/06 | Schloss Mirabell | A 5024 Salzburg Tel. +43 (0) 662 / 2005 06 | Fax +43 (0) 662 / 2005 06-44 email@example.com
The UCI Road World Championships live! Follow the Races via Internet. Sport1.at is the official Live-Ticker partner of the 2006 UCI Road World Championships in Salzburg/Austria.
www.ucilive.com gives you the opportunity to see and review, live or on demand, throughout the world, UCI World Cups (BMX, Track and Cyclo-cross) and UCI World Championships (Road, BMX, Track, Mountain Biking and Cyclo-cross). Thanks to a partnership with Cycling.tv, UCI events are now accessible all over the world independently of TV broadcasts. For a very reasonable yearly subscription fee, you have now access to the most legendary footage and are able to relive the most exciting moments in cycling.
In Salzburg cycling is very popular. The bicycle is the most favoured means of transportation in the population, the network of cycle paths is one of the most densely structured throughout Austria. Additionally professional cycling is quite significant too. Thus I am especially pleased that we succeeded in our bid to host the 2006 Road World Championships in Salzburg. The World Championships as one of the biggest sport events, taking place on venues all over world and each year, is an important multiplicator for race cycling and an unforgettable event for the fans of cycling – hence the preparations run at full speed. Already now I am looking forward to the competitions and the finishes in the heart of our city!